Foods that fight depression
It makes sense to say that certain foods can make us feel better or worse. After all, the health of our bodies and mind are connected. So even though reaching for that fried fast food meal may give us a temporary sense of gratification, we find our selves feeling both physically and emotionally down after such an indulgence. But for food lovers, your relationship with food doesn’t have to be associated with gratification followed by guilt. Food is one of the pleasures of life, and even eating healthy, wholesome and natural foods can be delicious and leave us feeling satisfied and even happier.
So what can kind of foods have been studied and shown to make us feel better?
- Citrus fruits: Studies have shown that just smelling citrus fruits in the morning can give you a feeling of optimism to start your day with. Better yet, have some oranges with your breakfast or squeeze some lemon into your avocado on a toast.
- Eggs: Eating a whole egg, (no whites only nonsense) has been found to promote weight loss, keep you full, give you energy and helps improve your brain’s health.
- Berries: Berries are packed with natural chemicals that enhance the mood and fight inflammation which also contributes to depression.
- Bananas: High vitamins and minerals that help our brains release feel good chemicals.
- Dark Chocolate: A good dark chocolate is packed with anti-oxidants and reduces our stress hormone levels.
- Salmon: This fatty (in a good way) fish contains Omega 3 Fatty acids which help us feel good and fights depression. It’s also great for your hair, skin and nails.
- Turmeric: This amazing spice not only fights and prevents cancer, it enhances the mood and fights depression.
- Tea: Contains anti-oxidants and is found to be mood enhancing.
- Quinoa: Flavonoids in quinoa have been shown to have anti-depressant qualities.
- Radishes: These root veggies are great in salads like fattoush and are known to release our brain’s happy hormones!
- Yogurt: The probiotics in yogurt help keep your gut healthy, and a healthy gut can contribute to a happy brain.
Our beautiful bodies are designed in the most beautiful way and living a healthy life is about balance. So love your yourself and your body by taking care of it and only nourishing it with the best ingredients.