Are you considering switching to natural deodorant?
For most of us deodorant is an essential part of our daily body care. Armpit odor and sweat can also be a cause for anxiety, but there’s no need to worry! Armpit sweat and odor can be controlled without any harsh and toxic ingredients. So why you should switch to natural deodorant? Read on to find out!
Why do we sweat and why do armpits stink?
A common misconception about sweat is that it stinks. In reality, sweat is actually odorless and it’s the bacteria that lives in your underarms that cause you to smell. That’s why most non toxic deodorants are antiperspirants as well. They contain aluminum to block your pores from releasing sweat. Add chemicals, preservatives and perfumes to the mix and you have your conventional deodorant.
Why you should work up a sweat!
Sweating is a natural human process necessary for survival and for regulating our temperature. Our skin is our largest organ and the sweat glands help us filter toxins out through the pores. Working up a good sweat can boost your immune system by releasing harmful toxins out of our bodies. It also boosts circulation and makes us crave water which encourages us to rehydrate and lower the risk of kidney stones. Sweating also helps our body release endorphins, hormones which make us happy, which can add to the overall quality of life.
Besides working up a sweat with exercise, another great and healthy way to detox and sweat is with the sauna. Saunas encourage detoxing and strengthen your immune system. It can kill viruses and release toxins that we get exposed to through our environment and other factors. Just be sure to start slow and always hydrate during and after your sweat session.
So why go natural?
- To avoid exposing our bodies to unnecessary toxins. Scientific research is constantly uncovering the harms of those long lists of chemical ingredients we can’t even pronounce. We also believe in respecting the wisdom of tried and tested natural ingredients from nature.
- Sweating is normal and healthy! Our bodies need to sweat to let toxins out and it also helps in regulating our temperature. Why suppress our bodies when the problem isn’t sweating but preventing unpleasant odors? The essential oils we use are naturally antimicrobial and will fight off odors even if you sweat.
- Chemical deodorants and antiperspirants can wreak havoc on your skin. Think sensitivity, redness, rashes and bumpy skin.
- Non-natural deodorant can actually make you stink! The build up of clogged pores and not allowing your body to digest the bad bacteria can make your sweat smell even worse.
- Antiperspirants with aluminum compounds have been linked to Alzheimer’s and Breast Cancer as well as infertility, though the data is inconclusive. (1).
- Natural deodorant can also prevent ingrown hairs, bumpy pores and pigmentation.
- Switching to non-toxic and natural deodorant will give you peace of mind about what you are putting into your body.
Transitioning to non toxic deodorant
Going natural is a transition and while your body will thank you, there are a few things to keep in mind. Firstly, expect the first few days to be armpit detox. Your body is purging toxins and you might smell a bit funky for a few days. Trust us, it’s totally worth it! Once you go natural, not only will you feel better but be less prone to sensitivity in your underarms.
Our Roll-On Deodorant is aluminum free and contains a blend of essential oils and plant extracts to help control the bacteria that causes body odor. Essential oils are a natural but potent way of promoting health and well-being. Expect soft, fresh smelling pits with the help of mother nature!
Some causes of Body Odor:
As we mentioned earlier, body odor is caused by bacteria that interacts with sweat on the skin to create that unpleasant smell. Always be sure to speak to your doctor about your health concerns. Some conditions may make the smell worse including:
- Changes in hormones like Menopause and monthly cycles.
- Stress & Anxiety
- Being overweight
- Diet, certain strong smelling spices and foods can make their way through your pores.
- Health conditions like diabetes and kidney disease
- Certain medications like antidepressants
10 Things you can do prevent Body Odor:
- Switch your deodorant to Our Roll-On Deodorant. It’s aluminum free and naturally helps control the bacteria that causes body odor. It is also very soothing and cooling and smells very refreshing. It is also suitable for both men and women.
- Take a bath or shower daily, and especially after working out. Taking the time to dry yourself properly also helps prevent wet skin conditions that breed bacteria.
- Shave your underarms and other areas that you notice are problematic. This will prevent build up of sweat and bacteria and make it easier to keep yourself clean.
- Use our natural soaps such as our Black Seed Soap, made with pure black seed oil. This soap helps soothe problematic skin and is naturally anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
- We recommend using our natural scrubs under your arms to prevent bacteria build up.
- Make sure to wash your clothes regularly, and change your socks often.
- Experiment with cutting out certain foods like onions, garlic, cabbage, broccoli, curry, spicy foods and caffeine which may make you sweat more and may cause your sweat to be more pungent.
- Take care to wear loose fitting clothes of organic material such as pure cotton. This allows your skin to breathe and doesn’t irritate your skin like synthetic materials and tight clothing. It turns out man made materials like your favorite skin-tight leggings are breeding grounds for bacteria.
- Try to avoid stressing out. Easier said than done but stress can make the problem worse. Don’t worry so much about sweating, it is healthy and normal. Do something you like, meditate or treat yourself to a nice massage.
- After your bath create your own signature scent with any of our natural perfume oils such as a combination of White Musk and Rose oil? It’s healthy, subtle and so refreshing!